Every two weeks we read a new book in the WH40k universe and discuss it on our podcast. We invite you to read along with us and join in on our conversation via comments, Twitter, email, or vox cast.
For this episode, we’re reading Catachan Devil by Justin Woolley. You can purchase it at Amazon, Black Library, or Audible.
From the back of the book:
When Colonel Haskell ‘Hell Fist’ Aldalon and the Catachan 57th Jungle Fighters arrive on the quagmire world of Gondwa VI, they find it locked in the grip of an ever-growing greenskin threat. Rather than shoring up the meagre existing defences, the Catachans elect to go on the offensive and retake the strategically vital Outpost Four. In the process, they are saddled with the sole survivor of the outpost’s fall – the barely-trained Trooper Torvin, of the Skadi Second Infantry.
As the Astra Militarum clash with savage orks and Colonel Aldalon comes to terms with the cost of victory, Torvin finds himself under suspicion of cowardice by the Jungle Fighters. The young trooper’s new comrades may be just as dangerous to him as the xenos marauders… unless, that is, he can pass through this trial by fire and earn the respect of the Catachan Devils.
Questions to ponder after reading Catachan Devil:
- Did you like the book?
- What parts stood out?
- Did you like the Catachan 57th? How do they compare to the other death-world regiments?
- Did you like Torvin? Were you invested in his story?
- Was Aldolon a good commanding officer? Did you like his style?
- Nogrok was propa’ kunnin’ but was he a good antagonist?
- Did you see the “twist” coming?
- What happens next for the 57th? Was the ending satisfying?