Every two weeks we read a new book in the WH40k universe and discuss it on our podcast. We invite you to read along with us and join in on our conversation via comments, Twitter, email, or vox cast.
This episode we’re reading Dawn of Fire: Avenging Son by Guy Haley. You can purchase on Amazon, Black Library or Audible.
From the back of the book:
A great darkness has befallen the galaxy, and the armies of Chaos are rampant. To survive, humanity must retaliate and take back what they have lost. By the will of the reborn primarch, Roboute Guilliman, is the Indomitus Crusade launched – a military undertaking that eclipses all others in known history. From the Throneworld of Terra does the Avenging Son hurl his fleets, their mission the very salvation of mankind.
As vessels in their thousands burn through the cold void, the attention of Fleetmistress VanLeskus turns to the Machorta Sound – a region under attack by a dreaded Slaughter Host of the Dark Gods. The success of the Indomitus Crusade will be determined by this conflict, and the desperate mission of Battlegroup Saint Aster, led by Space Marine Lieutenant Messinius. Even then it is but a prelude to the forthcoming bloodshed.
Questions to ponder after reading Dawn of Fire: Avenging Son:
- Did you like the book?
- Which parts stood out to you?
- What did you think of the Primaris introduction? How do you feel about their worldview and awakening experiences?
- Several plot points were introduced but not expanded (fleet sabotage, Nawra, etc.). Do you think this is future story building? Was it interesting?
- How did you feel about Rostov? Was following Rostov through Lacrante’s eyes effective or hindering?
- We’ve expressed concern about Dawn of Fire and the nature of prequels. Did this book make you feel better about the situation?
- Where do you want the story to go from here?