Every two weeks we read a new book in the WH40k universe and discuss it on our podcast. We invite you to read along with us and join in on our conversation via comments, Twitter, email, or vox cast.
This episode we’re reading Watchers of the Throne: The Regent’s Shadow by Chris Wraight. You can purchase on Amazon, Black Library, or Audible.
From the back of the book:
As Guilliman, Regent of Terra, heads off to lead the Indomitus Crusade, he leaves behind a world still in turmoil, beset by cult activity. Stripped of its huge armies for the galactic offensive, recovery is precarious. The Custodians do what they can while keeping the Palace secure, and the Sisters of Silence rebuild their citadel on Luna. When the warship Phalanx returns, it seems that stability will at last be assured. However, as reconquest forces push out further into the slums, they come across signs that another mysterious foe is active. The truth dawns – not every enemy is corrupted by Chaos, for there are many on Terra who do not share Guilliman’s vision of a new order, and the prospect of a Terran civil war looms…
Questions to ponder during and after reading Watchers of the Throne: The Regent’s Shadow:
- Did you like the book?
- What parts stood out to you?
- Guilliman’s presence, or lack thereof, is arguably one of the strongest themes of the book. What do you think of his decisions? What do you think of the reactions to his decisions?
- What are the long-term implications of Aleya’s research? Which feels more shocking or pressing: The ancient history, or those who removed the Sisters?
- The Valerian at the end of The Regent’s Shadow is wholly different than the Valerian at the beginning of The Emperor’s Legion. What do you think of his transformation?
- Spoilers, highlight to reveal: [Seinfeld voice]What is the deal with the Minotaurs?[/Seinfeld voice] Were you surprised to see them? How did they get Primaris? What happened between Roskavler and Moloc?
- Were you surprised by the traitors and non-traitors in the end? What did you think of Jek’s involvement/contributions?
- Where do Aleya and Valerian go from here? What did Valoris’s message mean?